48th Regiment of Foot
The regiment was first raised in 1741, during the War of Austrian Succession, as James Cholmondeley's Regiment of Foot. The regiment first saw action at the Battles of Falkirk and Culloden in 1745-1746, campaigning against the Young Pretender "Bonnie Prince Charlie".
In 1748, it was renumbered as the 48th Regiment of Foot.
In 1755 Daniel Webb was promoted to colonel of the 48th Regiment of Foot. Webb had purchased a commission as ensign on 20 March 1720. He was promoted to the majory of the Eighth Horse, in 1742, and served at the Battle of Dettingen in 1743). In April 1745 Daniel Webb had been promoted lieutenant colonel of the 48th Regiment, and served at the Battle of Fontenoy.
February 20 1756 the 48th Regiment arrived at Hampton in Virginia. It was part to the disastrous attempt against Fort Duquesne where it suffered a heavy defeat in the ambush on the Monongahela on July 9. The British force first retreated to Great Meadows, then to Fort Cumberland, leaving this fort for Philadelphia on August 2.
In 1756, the regiment was part of the aborted expedition against Fort Niagara.
In 1758, the regiment took part in the amphibious expedition against Louisbourg. On June 8, when Amherst's army landed near Louisbourg, the regiment was part of the right brigade under Whitmore. Between June and July, it participated in the siege of Louisbourg which surrendered on July 27. After the capture of the fortress, the regiment sailed for Boston where it arrived on September 14.
In 1759, the regiment was part of the expeditionary force sent against Québec. It belonged to Colonel Murray's brigade. On June 27, the army landed on Isle-d'Orléans and were drawn up on the beach near the village of Saint-Laurent. On July 31, the grenadiers of the regiment took part to the failed attack on the shores of Beauport, suffering heavy losses in the fight. On September 13, the regiment took part to the victorious battle on the Plains of Abraham near Québec. It was initially drawn up fronting the Saint-Charles to prevent French light troops from outflanking Wolfe's army while two companies were left to guard the landing-place. Québec finally surrendered on September 18. At the end of October, when vice-admiral Saunders left with his fleet for Great Britain, the regiment, whose ranks had been replenished to about 650 men by drafts from the 62nd Foot and 69th Foot, remained as garrison in Québec along with 9 other battalions. On April 28 1760, at the defeat of Sainte-Foy, the regiment was in Burton's brigade on the right wing. It then participated in the expedition against Montréal, where the surrender of Vaudreuil's troops on September 12, completed the conquest of Canada.
In January and February 1762, the regiment took part in the siege of Fort Royal and in the conquest of Martinique Island. Then from March to August, it participated in the siege and capture of Havanna, suffering heavy losses from sickness during the following months. In 1763, after the peace, the regiment was sent to Ireland.
In 1773, the 48th was stationed in the West Indies. During the American Revolution the regiment were captured by the French. They were repatriated back to England in 1780. The Regiment was relocated to Northampton District and then became known as the Northamptonshire Regiment.
The Battle Honour 'Gibraltar' was gained following the Childers Reforms 1881 which saw the 58th (Rutlandshire) Regiment united with the 48th to form the Northamptonshire Regiment.
The regiment then fought as part of the Duke of Wellington's army for the duration of the Peninsular War against Napoleonic France. The regiments most famous battle honour was gained in at the Battle of Talavera in 1809.
From 1817 until 1824, the 48th Regiment of Foot was stationed in Australia.
In 1856 the Regiment went to the Crimean War, and saw action at the Siege of Sevastopol.
In 1881, the 48th was united with 58th (Rutlandshire) Regiment of Foot, to form The Northamptonshire Regiment. The 48th became the 1st Battalion.
The Northamptonshire Regiment fought in World War I seeing action at the Battles of the Marne, Ypres and Somme. The regiment also fought in World War II seeing action in North Africa, Sicily and Italy.
In 1960, it was amalgamated with 1st Battalion, The Royal Lincolnshire Regiment, to form the 1st Battalion, 2nd East Anglian Regiment (Duchess of Gloucester's Own Royal Lincolnshire and Northamptonshire).In 1964 the successor of the 48th regiment was combined into the Royal Anglian Regiment.